Assistive Technology • Disability Services • Visually Impaired • Braille • Book Lending • Audio Books • Internet Access • Library
Braille Library offers a wide-range of free programs for patrons, including magazines and periodicals in braille and audio formats, a Telephone Reader Program both online and on the phone, a book-of-the-month club, descriptive videos and more. Library services include:
- Browsing Area: Check out up to 2 digital books, 5 recorded cassettes and 2 braille books from a large selection of genres and authors.
- Patron Computer: Reserve a computer for online job resources and more.
- Wi-Fi Connection: Bring a personal laptop and access the internet for free in one of the quiet reading areas.
- Mini Café: Read a book and enjoy a cup of coffee or tea.
- Expert Reader Advisors: Meet one of the friendly and knowledgeable Reader Advisors at the Library front counter to select a book.
- CCTV: There are three CCTV magnification stations available for patrons to read print.
- Scheduled BARD Sessions: BARD sessions are available every month, to help individuals learn the process of downloading digital books.
- SHELF Project: Beside having access to books from NLS, individuals can now download locally produced books.
- Persons who are "legally blind," which means that your vision is 20/200 or less in your better eye with corrective lenses. You are also legally blind if the widest diameter of your visual field is 20 degrees or less in your better eye.
- Persons with a visual disability who are unable to read standard print even with correction and despite optical measurement.
- Persons who cannot hold a book or handle standard printed materials because of physical limitations.
- Persons with a reading disability resulting from organic dysfunction that is sufficiently severe to prevent them from reading standard printed material. Note: This condition must be documented by a doctor of medicine.
- This service is free
- All ages welcome
How to Apply
Individuals may contact the Rancho Mirage Library Coordinator by phone at 760-0321-1111, Ext. 6115 for additional questions. A completed application must be mailed to:
Braille Institute Library Services
741 North Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90029-3594.
Applications must be documented by a competent authority such as a physician, nurse, optometrist, therapist, hospital or nursing-home professional, social worker or librarian. Family members are not eligible to certify as a competent authority.
Once your application is processed, a Reader Advisor will be there to help you select titles of interest to you, assist you in choosing the right playback machine and guide you in using Library Services.